An international organization for a new generation — Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs
The Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs was established under the agreement dated 16.07.2013, among V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University, Kharkiv Regional State Administration, Kharkiv Regional Council and the Association of Local Government in the Kharkiv region. The center is in the framework of the «Strategy for Sustainable Development of Kharkiv region by 2020″. The center will combine the efforts of the regional administration and regional councils with that of Kharkiv University, for work on complex international technical assistance and cooperation with international organizations. The cooperation of all partners in this work creates great potential for the development of international programs and projects in the Kharkiv region.
The purpose of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs is to promote international and inter-regional cooperation for the Kharkiv region in international programs and projects that increase the inflow of international technical assistance.
The objectives of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs are:
1. Involvement in Kharkiv Oblast international programs and projects for regional development.
2. Support for the development and implementation of international programs and projects of the university and local governments, which are carried out jointly.
3. Provide training (including international mobility programs) for local government officials and university staff in fundraising and project management.
4. Creation and maintenance of information and technical resources to both inform representatives of regional administrations, local government and the university and also to realize the potential of the programs and projects of international technical assistance and mobility.
5. Promotion of cooperation of regional administrations, local authorities and V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University with foreign public authorities, academic institutions and foreign companies.
The Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs operates in the following areas:
1. International scientific and technical development and support of international programs, joint scientific and technical research, international transfer of scientific and technological developments and technologies.
2. Social transformations in society and the solution of pressing social problems.
3. Innovative economic projects.
4. Energy efficiency and renewable energy, reforming housing and community services.
5. Ecology and Environment.
What do members of the Regional Center for International Projects and Programs actually do?
The Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs is a Ukrainian think tank that works in the field of regional development. The Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs is a unique interface between local communities, scientists and university professors, and international donor organizations and programs. The Regional Centre was implemented in Ukraine in the common European model of cooperation between the public and scientists to help develop Ukraine.
The center has implemented 3 major programs :
1. Education program, which aims to provide knowledge and skills of local communities to project management.
2. Equal access to information program, which is aimed at providing available information and educational resources to local communities on existing competitions for grants.
3. Regional Development program, which includes a number of procedures that aim to promote social and economic development of communities in the Kharkiv region
The «Education Program» of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs is a program of continuing education in the field of project management, international technical assistance and regional development. As part of the educational program, the Centre established both an area of registration of project proposals and a training room in its office. Using these resources, as well as a professional training team, the Center conducted systematic training and educational workshops for representatives of local communities in the region. In addition to extending the «Education Program», the Regional Centre launched a series of seasonal schools that aim to build knowledge and skills of project management and grant writing to representatives of local communities in the Kharkiv region. To improve the quality of the educational process, the Centre and experts are involved in the preparation of manuals in the field of project management for local government officials, local administrations, NGOs and representatives of university. The first textbook series was «Grant Writing : guidance for public authorities on how to write proposals».
The «Equal access to information program“ of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs is aimed at providing available information and educational resources to local communities on existing competitions for grants.
This program (http://intprog.kh.ua) aims to disseminate information about new contests and grants available to local communities in Kharkiv, and to familiarize users with the largest international funds and technical assistance programs. The portal is a way to provide online advice in the field of project management. In addition, there are plans to add electronic versions of training materials on grant writing and project management for the successful development of local communities.
An additional resource is the electronic newsletter of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs, which, along with the site, provides information about current contests and descriptions of donors. In addition, the newsletter introduces the latest Centre developments and announces coming events. The section «Best Practices» is especially useful for local communities and acquaints readers with success stories of communities in regional development.
A special topic on the transfer of “On-line developments in local government and the third sector» is also included to help ensure free access to information
To improve the quality of submissions, the Regional Centre offers consultations and informational seminars for target groups’ calls for proposals.
«The Regional Development program» of the Centre includes 4 sub-procedures :
“Building a network of public activity» — involves the creation of a sustainable network of local centers of community development for the Kharkiv region;
«Local Partnerships for local energy» — which is aimed at increasing the use of renewable energy and energy-efficiency technologies in rural communities;
«Sustainable development of communities» — which includes the development and implementation of strategic plans for the area , including the trend of sustainable development (the balance between social and economic development, active use of community resources and reduction of environmental impact);
«Volunteers for Community Development» — a volunteer program that aims to attract volunteers (mostly from abroad ) for the implementation of micro-projects in local municipalities in the Kharkiv region.
Presentation of the Regional Centre of International Projects and Programs
A presentation of the Regional Centre was held December 20, 2013, as an open dialogue between the Kharkiv Regional State Administration, Kharkiv City Council and V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University. Presentation of the Regional Centre was held 5 months after its creation, and presented a working center, its achievements, necessity, and importance.
The presentation was attended by representatives of the Kharkiv regional council, district governors and district councils in the Kharkiv region, the Public Council under the Head of Kharkiv Regional State Administration, representatives of V.N.Karazin Kharkiv National University, and the Academy of Sciences of Ukraine.
An agreement was signed, during the event, between the University and Kharkiv, Pechenegi and Borova district councils on partnership activities in the development of international projects.